Here’s a list of occurrences in my life during my 23rd year. Some of them were great. Some were crap. But that’s to be expected, life wouldn’t be life if it were all easy. So, let’s get to it.
When I was 23…
1. I flew from England to Barcelona on my 23rd birthday. My sister met me there and we had a nice holiday for a couple weeks.
2. I finished grad school! Won’t be the last time, though.
3. I was published for the first time in a newspaper, both print and online. I did work experience for a week at an English newspaper and they published all the stuff I wrote.
4. I fancied a day alone, shopping, so I took a 3-hour train ride to London and back just to spend the afternoon wandering Oxford Street and spending far too much money. I loved that day.
5. I did just one day of work experience at the Bureau of Investigative Journalism because I couldn’t bear to be apart from my ex-boyfriend for two whole weeks. Stupid, I know.
6. I dressed up as Harley Quinn for Halloween, and I looked damn sexy.
7. I experienced the worst stress symptoms of my life. My body was falling apart, it seemed. I’m glad to say that I am one thousand percent better and I hope I never feel so awful again.
8. I attempted a transatlantic long-distance relationship for two months.
9. I lost my grandmother, and my heart was truly broken for the first time in my adult life.
10. I went to Bestival 2012, my first UK festival. I never thought I’d have so much fun living in a field for a weekend.
11. I met Lianne La Havas, my current favorite singer. I got to tell her how amazing she is, she hugged me and posed for a photo with me. My life was complete.
12. I burned my foot really badly.
13. I moved back to England purely for the purpose of continuing a relationship. (Never again, my friend.)
14. I went to Tallahassee, Florida’s state capital, for the first time, despite living in Florida all my life.
15. I got to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, finally!
16. I got to spend a few lovely weekends in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I think I may have fallen in love with it.
17. I ended my longest relationship thus far, just shy of the one year mark, because I felt it was no longer right for me.
18. I went to Amsterdam. Very interesting things occurred. That’s all you need to know.
19. I started blogging to all you lovely people! 🙂
20. I became probably the least trusting of people I have ever been in my life. It’s something I definitely want to work on, but we all know it’s not easy.
21. I moved back in with mom for the first time in my adult life, after six years of freedom.
22. I got to spend time with my very best friend, who, sadly, lives in England.
23. Somehow, after all the bad things that happened this past year, I found it within myself to be happy. A true first.